Ludwig G. Kuttner is Stephan Georg Kuttner’s oldest son.
Stephan Kuttner taught at
University from 1940 to
1964. He continued the great
tradition within the Church of lay canon lawyers with children dating back to
Johannes Andreae († 1348). While at
CUA he taught the history of canon law and established the
Medieval Canon Law, which
became a world renowned center for
the study of the history of canon law.
He founded a journal that is still published at CUA, the
Bulletin of Medieval Canon Law and
also established a series that was devoted to publishing texts, monographs, and
conference proceedings, the Monumenta iuris canonici.
Kuttner left CUA for
University and later moved to the
He died 1996. The
Canon Law has established a
chair to honor his memory.
Please join the Kuttners and the School of Canon Law for a reception after the lecture.